Rodent Control - Sunshine Coast
Rodent Deterrent Tips
• Food Safety – Be careful not to attract rodents with food. Where possible food should be stored in plastic or metal containers. Regularly clean under stoves, refrigerators and cupboards.
• Doors – Fit bristle (or brush) strips to the bottom of doors to prevent entry, especially in older properties where the door fit may not be snug.
• Pipework – Seal holes around existing or new pipes with coarse grade stainless steel wire wool and caulking (pliable sealant).
• Holes – These are often made in exterior walls for cables and pipes; check that old pipework holes are sealed too. Any holes that are larger than 5mm will allow rodents to gain access because their jaws can fit into tight spaces like these and quickly chew larger openings that allow them to enter a building.
• Air Bricks and Vents – Cover these with fine galvanised wire mesh, especially if they are damaged.
• Eaves – Fix damaged roofing and use wire mesh to seal gaps.
• Vegetation – Trim tree branches back from the house and where possible avoid plants growing up the sides of your property. Vines, shrubs or over hanging branches can be used for mice to get onto roofs. Overgrown vegetation close to the walls will offer rodents shelter and potential nesting sites.
• Lawns – Keep grass mown short to reduce shelter and seeds for food. Ideally leave a gap between the building foundations and the garden.
While Australia is home to more than 60 species of native rodents that pose little or no harm to humans, it is the three species of introduced rodents that cause problems in urban areas. These species of rats and mice carry many diseases and bacteria, contaminate food and water, generate awful smells, cause damage to wiring, plastics and timber, and are hosts for fleas and ticks! These pests can cause devastating damage in a wide range of different settings, such as domestic households, commercial businesses, restaurants and manufacturers.
Did you know that a single mouse can produce 10 babies every 20 days!!
Rodents are some of the most adaptive creatures on the planet and can be a pain to eradicate. They will seek out a quiet place to nest such as walls, roof spaces, sheds and piles of rubbish and will mostly move around at night looking for food and water. They are also more active in the colder months, sheltering from the cold and rain in the roof. Pet food is also a major attraction for rodents. Rodents are very good climbers, able to scale rough, vertical surfaces and walk along thin cables or wires. They have soft skeletons and can get through gaps the width of a pencil!
At The Cocky Man Pest Control, our technicians are trained to locate areas of rodent activity and potential rodent entry points. We’ll ensure your home or business is protected from these pests year-round with expert rodent control services that suit your needs. Most commonly we use rodent baiting in safe, lockable bait stations around the home in areas where we suspect rodent activity. Mechanical or adhesive trapping is also an effective means of rodent management in situations where baiting is not suitable.
Need A Free Estimate?
Are pests getting the best of your home? Contact us today for a Free Quote!